Monday, May 30, 2011

Getting ready

I've been busy finishing up some coats for a couple of upcoming occasions: The second photo shoot on June 2, and the DIY Unraveled Festival on June 10. I don't know quite what to expect from this festival; the proprietors found ME on Etsy and encouraged me to apply. It is the first one they've done, and it's only 3 hours long. At this point in my fledgling "career," though, I figured I should have a go at it, for more experience and feedback, if not actual sales!
I'll post photos from the photo shoot soon after I see them! So excited for my new styles to be captured by the talented Leslie Plesser. 
All the coats I've made so far are with laminated fabric by Michael Miller, Heather Bailey, and a new one (red with big white polka dots, very cute) from Riley Blake. But I'm about to branch out (or at least give it a try) with fabric I've laminated myself.
I had an epiphany several weeks ago while reading this blog by Jeanne Oliver Designs. She told about taking her designs to a trade show or fair, some such, and feeling mocked and embarrassed because they were made from highly identifiable fabric (in her case, Amy Butler). She realized she'd never make a name for herself unless her stuff looked original. I had been thinking about that myself after seeing another coat-seller on Etsy using similar fabric to mine. How can I truly call these my designs if the fabric is so well-known?
And laminate has such a small selection, really. I see the same designs everywhere. Now, they are adorable, and that's what drew me to them. But I've decided I'm going to try laminating my own. I've bought some iron-on vinyl and some fabric (actually, the fabric is a sheet from Target -- I challenge anyone to find laminate that will look like mine!). I'd hoped to have a sample done before the photo shoot but I think I'll aim for the DIY show.
So that's what I'm up to now; the photo below shows my current "collection." (I took this photo, so you can see why I'm hiring a professional for the real shots!)

No comments:

Post a Comment